Sunday 11 July 2010

Our Swan Family.

 Watching these cygnets interact is mesmerising. As siblings they seem genuinely fond of each other.

Daily a family of swans visit the cottage and seem to wait for food. The swan and duck feed mix I have at hand seems to disappear far more rapidly when the cygnets are around as they are really greedy.

I woke yesterday morning to a beautiful sight as I drew back the curtains to see them all sunning themselves in the early morning sunshine.

 "Preening just like Mum"

The cygnets look so clumsy compared to their graceful and obviously proud parents.

Waiting for me to appear with their food in our garden.  The proud parents happily look over their young.

Proud Dad

"Dad" at the moment is continually attacking another male swan but he hasn't yet worked out it is his own reflection on the hull of our boat!

 Standing is quite a task when you are this shape!

I watched one young cygnets so eargerly preening his wings while standing which seems a really difficult task to master  at this age.

  Camera Shy!

They are so cute and it won't be long before they start looking more like their parents.As gangly "teenagers" they are  completely fascinating to observe!

***************************




4 comments:

  1. I've just had a lovely time catching up with the Swan family! It's a pleasure to read this Jean...look forward to the next episode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Helen, so much happens daily that finding time to record it all is impossible these days.Especially as my wildlife "family" seems to be growing each day too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog...this is wonderful..those swan pictures!!
    I love animals very much, I take care of many neglected ducks, chickens and turtles...
    come over and visit me if you like

    http://averyfairygarden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anna, how lovely to meet you and thank you for looking at my blog. I feel I live in an enchanted garden as the wildlife here are like friends and family visiting with their young and allowing us to enjoy their beauty in such a peaceful setting. I am very lucky!

    Jean

    ReplyDelete